The Rosary is a form of prayer that was given to us by Mary many centuries ago. Back during the time of Jesus, the new Christians would carry prayer beads to help them in their prayers to Our Lord. The Rosary as we know it is credited to a vision of Mary given to St. Dominic. Mary also has been seen in many visions holding the ‘modern’ Rosary, and she often encourages the visionaries to pray the Rosary and asks them to encourage others to pray the Rosary. Saying each Hail Mary is like placing a rose in a beautiful bouquet for Our Lady.
Although it may seem that the Rosary is a devotional towards Mary, it’s actual focus is on Jesus and His life. With Each mystery, with the exception of two, they all are focused on Jesus and that blessings He accomplished here on earth.
The Mysteries of the Rosary – Here is a detailed list of the Mysteries and the days they are to be prayed on.
Monday & Saturday
- The Annunciation of the Lord to Mary
- The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth
- The Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ
- The Presentation of our Lord
- Finding Jesus in the Temple at age 12
Tuesday & Friday
- The Agony of Jesus in the Garden
- The Scourging at the Pillar
- Jesus is Crowned with Thorns
- Jesus Carried the Cross
- The Crucifixion of our Lord
Wednesday & Sunday
- The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
- The Ascension of Jesus to Heaven
- The Descent of the Holy Ghost
- The Assumption of Mary into Heaven
- Mary is Crowned as Queen of Heaven and Earth
- The Baptism in the Jordan
- The Wedding at Cana
- The Proclamation of the Kingdom
- The Transfiguration
- The Institution of the Eucharist
Below is a Rosary book was part given to me and part put together by me. What I did for my children was print out the first two pdf files and put them in a binder with each page in a cover sheet. Then as we go through the prayers, they are able to flip the pages, see the pictures and read the prayers.
How to Pray the Rosary – basic prayers of the Rosary
Rosary with pictures for Children – pictures for each of the mysteries – updated July 2014!
Rosary line by line, prayer by prayer – More intense Rosary that gives the scripture associated with each mystery and each bead.
**Something cool I heard: If you start the Rosary and can’t finish it in that setting, an Angel will finish it for you. So, don’t be discouraged to start saying the Rosary because you don’t have time to finish it or may even fall asleep saying it. God still hears and honors your prayers.