This one might be a tough one for many people, yet it is a requirement if you want to master your tongue….Stop cussing!
First let’s look at what the Bible has to say about our tongues:
When we use them for Evil:
- We use our tongue for cursing and deceit: “His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tongue are mischief and iniquity.” Psalm 9:7
- Lying destroys the soul: “Beware then of useless murmuring, and keep your tongue from slander; because no secret word is without result, and a lying mouth destroys the soul.” Wisdom 1:11
- Deception: “Their throat is an open grave, they use their tongues to deceive. The venom of asps is under their lips.” Romans 3:13
- Boastful: “So the tongue is a little member and boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire!” James 3:5
Used for God:
- Do not use the Lord’s name incorrectly: “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.” Exodus 20:7
- The Lord uses our tongue: “The Spirit of the Lord speaks by me,his word is upon my tongue.” 2 Samuel 23:2
- Spreading the Good News: “Then my tongue shall tell of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.” Psalm 35:28
- Watching what we say: “I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will bridle my mouth, so long as the wicked are in my presence.” Psalm 39:1
- Praise of God: “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God.” Romans 14:11
- Praise of Jesus: “Every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2:11
And finally, if there is any other reason not to cuss and to watch what you say, it is this verse, “If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is in vain.” James 1:26
James also talks about the taming of the tongue in chapter 3:1-12, and can by summarized by the following:
- Teachers will be judged with greater strictness.
- The tongue is a little member and boasts of great things.
- The tongue is a fire. The tongue is an unrighteous world among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the cycle of nature, and set on fire by hell.
- No human being can tame the tongue – a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
- With it we bless the Lord and the Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brethren, this ought not be so.
This ought not be so! We need to always have praise for the Lord on our tongue and not cursing and hatred. We must learn to control our tongue so that we do not use it for evil purposes, such as lying or deception. It was deception and lying that separated us from God in the garden. Every time we use the Lord’s name in vain, lie, deceive, boast, condemn, or judge it continues to divide and separate us from God.
Instead, we should always use our tongues to praise God. We should use His name only to spread the Good News and to tell the truth. When we do need to reprimand someone, we should do so with love and gentleness.
Create a cuss cup – any time you cuss, put money in the cup and donate the money at the end of the month to your favorite charity. Challenge a friend or co-worker and see who can stop cussing first.